The Warren Glass Works Company was started in 1880. It was located in South Cumberland, between the railroad and Queen Street at the end of Springdale Street. It was built by the three Whiteman brothers from New York City. The Whitemans (Abram V., Lewis P., and Warren B.) had a long history in the glass industry in New York. They sold glassware and bottles before coming to Cumberland. Their pre-1880 advertisements mentioned Recess Glass Labeled Glassware, Druggists� bottles, Fish Globes, Graduates, Show bottles, Demijohns, Flasks, and Wine bottles. On March 23, 1880, Louis P. Whiteman was granted Patent #225,900 for a Milk Bottle. Now that the Whitemans had a patent for a milk bottle, they needed a glass factory to produce the milk bottles and the other bottles and glassware they sold. They had their wares manufactured by orders to other glass factories previously.
Lewis P. and Warren B. Whiteman visited Cumberland Maryland for the purpose of ascertaining the advantages the city possessed for the manufacture of glass. What they found was very desirable, and they began immediately to plan for a glass factory. By late April, 1880, construction was started on the glass factory and by September, the first fires were started. It was to be named the Warren Glass Works Co. for the Whiteman brother Warren.
The products of the Warren Glass Works Co. were the same wares that the Whiteman sold. An advertisement from 1883 indicates they made lantern globes, siphons, battery jars, and all kinds of green & amber glass. There was also correspondence indicating that the Warren Glass Works had a great demand for their noted milk bottles. These products of the Warren Glass Works were sold from the Whiteman sales office in New York. This is probably part of the reason these products are not found in the Cumberland area.
The Whiteman milk bottle patent was actually four years ahead of the first Thatcher milk bottle patent. The Thatcher is always thought to be the first milk bottle but it appears the milk bottles made in Cumberland, Maryland may have been the first. The Whitemans had their name and address embossed on the base of their milk bottles. They actually had two addresses, having moved their showroom at some point. The 72 Murray St. is the earlier address. These bottles have a heavy embossing extending to the high outside edge or rim of the base. This is where the wear takes place over time. These bottles also have �MAKER� on the base. The reverse side of the bottle contains the following embossing; �This Bottle To Be Washed And Returned, Not To Be Bought Or Sold�. The later bottles are embossed inside the high base edge or rim with an address of 144 Chambers St. These are without the embossed MAKER and without a message embossed on the reverse. An 1883 advertisement for Warren Milk Bottles states �Adapted for the delivery of milk in all cities and towns�.
Abram Whiteman was granted a patent for a fruit jar on June 16, 1885. An advertisement for the Whiteman Fruit Jar indicates it is made of clear flint glass at prices as low as common green glass. Unfortunately, I was not able to identify anyone who has seen one of these Whiteman fruit jars. Whether they were actually made is not known.
Other known jars to be made by the Warren Glass Works include a small screw cap jelly jar with �Warren Glass Works Co. Cumberland MD� embossed in a slug plate on the front, and another tin top jelly jar with �Warren Glass Works Co. 72 Murray St.� embossed on the front.
In August 1882, the Warren Glass Co. advertised in Crockery & Glass Journal, fine flint glassware, and in the ad they pictured a bouquet vase using the hand form as the stem. They indicated in the advertisement of having a patent date of July 3, 1877. The bouquet vase looked like a type of epergne. This same �Tree of Life with Hand� style pedestal was produced by J. H. Hobbs, Brockunier & Co. Wheeling, WV. Whether the Warren Glass Works produced any items with this form is not known.
In 1888, the Whitemans moved the Warren Glass Works to Uniontown, PA. The glass factory in Cumberland was sold to Frederick Mertens in 1889. The South Cumberland Glass Co. was formed in April 1889. In January 1890, the name was changed to the Queen City Glass Co. The advertising on the roof of the factory indicated they made flint glass bottles for beer, sodas, pickles, catsup, candies, and prescription vials. There is a news item in the National Glass Budget for November 13, 1897 that states the Queen City Glass Co. of Cumberland, MD had one 12-pot furnace in operation on white flint beers and soda bottles. There is no other information on the products of the Queen City Glass Co.
The Eastern Glass Co. was completely destroyed by fire on August 7, 1913.
The three glass companies located at this site between 1880 and 1913 were the only glass factories to make bottles in the Cumberland area.
These bottles were made at the Warren Glass Works. The milk bottles are embossed on the base with the Whiteman name and either one of two New York city addresses. The apothecary bottle is embossed on the base with the Warren Glass Co. and Cumberland MD.
Back to Home